Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Gaskets for horns

  1. #1
    Inactive Member dooey263's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 27th, 2005
    Posts
    15
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Nearing completion of my A5's. Time to mount the 288b's to the throats and 1005's. I bought them all seperately, and am not sure if I need to make gaskets. (Although I'm pretty sure I do.)

    Originally, was there a gasket between the driver/throat, or throat/ horn joints? If so,Does anyone recall the material/thickness?

    Cheers.... Scott

  2. #2
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi,Scott!

    Glad to hear your're making progress, I keep getting sidetracked, but am still slowly gaining ground.

    I've got a sheet somewhere with all the large format gaskets, adapters, etc, but couldn't find it easily. Will post a copy here when I do.

    There are two gaskets types for the lf driver mounting, and the mating surfaces determine which one to use. If the diver, horn, or throat faces are completely flat, a paper gasket about the thickness of cereal box material made as big as the mounting area will work. Some drivers, horns, and throats have a recessed area in the center, about 2" in diameter, and 1/8" deep. For these, you need a thick (about 3/16") rubber gasket sized to the recessed area only. Either way, you want both surfaces to be in full contact, save for the gasket between.

    Most important is getting a smooth transition from the driver opening to the throat, with no gasket overhang. There's not much slop in the mtg bolts, but you can use what there is to your advantage to get a good alignment. Don't overtighten the mounting.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member dooey263's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 27th, 2005
    Posts
    15
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanx B!

    That's about what I was thinking. I also wondered if it was worthwhile to clean up the inside of the throats or the little apertures of the horns. The throat casting is a little rough,and the soldering a bit bumpy, kind of a "porting and polishing" job.Not sure if its worthwhile, or just my "anality gene" coming to the fore once again!

    It's been a tough slug getting them built,6 months of weekends and all my holidays. I'm self employed,and have virtually given up work for the past two weeks cuz I'm so close..... Hope they'll let me bring them to the Poor House!

    Cheers.... Scott

  4. #4
    HB Forum Owner Russ Farrell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    46
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Scott:

    The A5X assembly instructions 42-02-30694-03 dated 8/80 read: "...when mounting a throat with a male fitting to a Model 288-16G driver, a 0.02" thick gasket, part number 20466, must be inserted between throat and driver. These gaskets are supplied with each throat and driver. When mounting a throat with a flush face to a Model 288-16G driver, a 0.125" thick gasket, part number 21270, must be inserted between throat and driver. These gaskets are also supplied with each throat and driver."
    Good luck finishing the project.

    Russ

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.